Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

An unwanted visitor to the mouse-house.

We had a visiting hawk on our property last week. I noticed the feeders were quiet around mid-day and looked up to see a dark shadow in a tree. Then it came down to the lower branches of a Douglas Fir tree and hid inside for a time. I thought that was odd but then the Mourning Doves spend a lot of their day in there. Soon it flew up to the top of a tree again and then left. The feeders remained very quiet for hours after except for a few Chickadees. I wondered if that meant they are a little dumb in the bird world. I  can just hear them now..."after you...no, after you"Thankfully, there has been no hawk sightings the last few days. I decided to keep all the ground feed tucked under the trees instead of out in the open from now on. I'm pretty protective of our resident birds.
                                         From the mouse-house kitchen window.

Today was a wet, windy and miserable day but I ended up having a great one.
 I  had an over-due visit and coffee with my lovely friend, Susan. I was her cat-sitter for years (Lucky =^..^= & Addy =^..^=)  and we were walking buddies before I moved and both miss our walks and talks. You can visit Susan at http://proseccoandpolkadots.blogspot.ca/

I replenished the bird seed cupboard which will keep my mornings filled with happy birds, and once the sun appeared, planted gladiolus bulbs along our front fence in honour of Earth Day.
                                                                     (source)

This property just may be a little piece of heaven some day. *smile*

hugs, Deb



13 comments:

  1. You do want to be wary of hawks, but they are part of nature, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even I get a bit wary when I see a hawk hanging around! AND I'm a people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my yard, it's the mourning doves that the hawk catches. All the other birds seem to quickly hide when an alert is sounded but the doves seem a little slow moving or don't hide at all!

    How fun that your friend came for a visit! Lovely photo of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it will Deb.....for sure!
    Nice that you got together with your friend!
    Wasn't the weather crazy?
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Deb,
    It is not good when hawks come circling or even sit ready to snatch away one of our feathered friends.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you and Susan got to get together! Wonderful!
    Have a great rest of the week.
    Love,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, be careful of the hawks. We had one catch a squirrel and enjoyed supper and breakfast on a large tree branch above our deck last year!

    Glad you had a lovely visit with Susan - it's sad when we suddenly find ourselves no longer living close to special friends.

    Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great that your friend popped in to cheer up the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is not a doubt that it is already a haven in the making, Deb. Love that you had a nice visit with your friend. Great photo of the two of you! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb, I came over from Cranberry Morning. Just Cats? How could I resist?! I'm going to enjoy perusing your blog -- cats are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you have a Sparrow hawk there ! Yes one wonders if some of the birds take a chance whilst others are still hiding and who is the dummy out of the two lol ! Oh Gladiolas I love them I think I will get some for my gardens and plant them in a week or two ! Lovely photos ! Glad you had a nice visit with your friend ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  12. We get hawks out west and we see them sometimes, barely recognizable hundreds of feet up in the sky. Yet they must can see a gopher move through grass. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The glads will be beautiful. Little piece of heaven...someday? I think that day is now!!

    ReplyDelete